Updated on 19 October, 2021
A soil test kit for lawn soils can tell you what your lawn requires for optimal turf health. With a soil testing kit, you can accurately tell the condition of your soil and can choose the right fertilizers to get the best results. All good soil test kits will also test soil for available nitrogen, phosphorous, and potassium (or NPK), all of which are important nutrients to ensure healthy, beautiful lawns.
A well-tested lawn soil test kit will help you make better informed fertilizer recommendations. Often, lawn professionals will make recommendations to buy a certain brand or type of fertilizer based on the results of their soil tests. By having a soil testing kit to test your lawn's soil, you can easily compare brands and types of fertilizers and make a better decision for your lawns. Here are the nutrients found in commercial and natural fertilizers:
- Commercial Fertilizer: These commercial fertilizers are available in powder or granular forms and come in bags, packets, or buckets. They are sold as a liquid or a granular product. Companies that sell soil testing kits for lawn care offer free soil test kits that can be used to make free soil test kits at home.
- Commercial Soil Test Kit for Lawns: This kit offers a variety of products to test both the quality and condition of your soil. It contains two different size and shapes of test vials and test strips. The first is to test both nitrogen and potassium levels in your soil. The second is to test only the potassium level. The kits also come with detailed instructions for your use.
- Lawn Ph Test Kit for Soil: This kit allows you to test your soil's pH levels. Your lawn's ph level determines whether it is acid, alkaline, or basic. An acidic soil is prone to harmful insects and diseases. On the other hand, a basic soil is ideal for growing plants and other organisms. With the help of a lawn ph test kit, you can determine the ph level of your soil. The kit includes detailed instructions and a rapitest for the procedure.
- Commercial Fertilizer: This product is sold by many manufacturers. Its list of ingredients includes iron, limestone, manganese, zinc, copper, and many others. It is an ideal choice for those who are looking for fertilizers with high-quality nutrients. You don't have to worry about choosing the right one since they are available in different forms such as powder, tablets, or granules. Some reviewers say that this product provides more nutrients compared to other brands.
- Soil Samples and Fertilizer: If you want to save time, effort, and money, you can use soil samples and fertilizer in your lawn testing kit. You can conveniently take the samples to the nearest local garden center and ask for a bulk order. However, it is not advisable to use the same samples for both the nutrient extraction and the soil testing. As mentioned by many reviewers, you can easily distinguish the brand from the rest by reading the package labels.
- Other Tools That You Can Buy Within the Kit: Most brands also contain a variety of other tools such as soil samples, lawn application tools, weed killer, and fertilizers. However, most users say that these additional tools are unnecessary and don't improve the quality of the soil sample. Most kits only contain soil sample, soil calculator, fertilizer, and testing meter.
- Alkalinity and Phosphorus Testing: Both potassium and magnesium are contained in almost all the brands of soil testing meters. However, determining the mineral content of the soil using a potassium and magnesium meter is very difficult. Many experts say that it is not always accurate enough to determine the mineral content of your soil. Instead of purchasing a potassium and magnesium meter for each of the nutrients needed for your lawn, you can buy an alkalinity and pH test kit instead.
It is also available within the kit that you can be able to do some basic testing for both pH and acidity. Lawn testing kits for alkalinity and acidity are usually available on the internet. These two elements are important for determining the health of your soil. Your lawn soil should be in optimum condition to ensure its durability and productivity. It is important to know the ph level of your soil so you will be able to identify what exactly is lacking and what needs to be added in.
An important thing to consider when purchasing a soil testing kit is to choose a brand that offers detailed information about the performance of the kit. There are brands which can offer the complete analysis for you to be able to check the pH and acidity levels of your soil. There are also kits that only provide you with the nutrient levels. In this case, you still need to conduct the testing yourself so you have to buy additional nutrient packs.